September 25, 2007

Oh Mexico!!


So part of my job is to fill in for a lady in the events department while she is on maternity leave. What she does is plan all the international city meetings. I am only doing the ones in Mexico.I love this. It is a lot of fun, and such a great learning experience for me. The hardest part of this is getting a hold of contacts at the hotel. I send them emails and call them all the time. I recall the first time I tried to call this one venue the man I was trying to talk to was at the bank. The receptionist said he would be back in 20 minutes. I said I would call back, and I did two hours later, and he was still at the bank. Hmmm interesting, remind me to never join that bank, they are slow!

I have tried to get a hold of some people to get receipts for the past two weeks. It has become very difficult and my deadline is tomorrow and I am still missing two receipts.

I have come to the conclusion that all of this trouble and stress is caused by one thing. SIESTAS!!! For those of you who don't know, a siesta is a mid-day nap. It's a short nap, well not so much as short as 2 hours long, in the middle of the day. This is generally taken from 12-2, after lunch.

The great wikipedia (man I love that website, you can learn anything from it. If you have never visited it you really should. Your life will be forever changed.) has taught me that our bodies run on a 24 hour body clock which makes us wind down twice. Typically once in the afternoon and once in the evening. However, in the US we just work through our mid-day sleepiness.

This has given me two options; I can either hate Mexico for taking said siesta, and making my work day more difficult, or I can be jealous of Mexico because they get that nap, that I crave every work day at promptly 2:30pm. I think I will hate Mexico on the outside, and secretly be jealous of them on the inside. Well I guess it's not much of a secret now.

2 comments:

Kalli Ko said...

okay steph, if this post is negative than I am for sure going to hell. Because I am WAY more negative than you are.

Stephanie said...

well its not so much as negative, as well I dont really know. I am not going to delete it anymore. You are not going to hell